How to Call to South Africa From USA: A Comprehensive Guide
Calling international destinations can sometimes be a daunting task, especially if you are unfamiliar with the process. If you wish to call South Africa from the USA, you may have several questions regarding the dialing codes, costs, and other related factors. In this article, we will provide you with an easy-to-follow guide on how to make international calls to South Africa from the USA, along with answers to some frequently asked questions (FAQs) to help you navigate the process smoothly.
Calling South Africa from the USA:
To call South Africa from the USA, you need to follow these steps:
1. Dial the international access code: Begin by dialing the international access code, which is “011” in the USA.
2. Dial the country code for South Africa: After dialing the international access code, enter the country code for South Africa, which is “27.”
3. Enter the area code: South Africa has various area codes depending on the region you are calling. Refer to a reliable area code directory or consult with your service provider to find the correct area code for the specific city or region you wish to call.
4. Dial the local phone number: Finally, dial the local phone number of the person or business you want to reach in South Africa.
For example, if you want to call a mobile number in Johannesburg, you would dial: 011 + 27 + area code + local phone number.
FAQs about Calling South Africa from the USA:
1. What time zone does South Africa follow?
South Africa operates on South African Standard Time (SAST), which is GMT+2.
2. How much does it cost to call South Africa from the USA?
The cost of calling South Africa from the USA will vary depending on your service provider and the calling plan you have. It is advisable to check with your provider for accurate rates.
3. Can I use my cellphone to call South Africa?
Yes, you can make international calls to South Africa using your cellphone. However, it is important to check with your service provider about international calling rates to avoid unexpected charges.
4. Are there any alternative calling methods?
Apart from traditional phone calls, you can also make international calls using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services such as Skype, WhatsApp, or Google Voice. These services often offer lower rates for international calls.
5. Do I need to dial the exit code when calling from South Africa to the USA?
Yes, when calling from South Africa to the USA, you need to dial the exit code, which is “00” followed by the USA’s country code, which is “1.”
6. Are there any specific calling hours to consider?
It’s advisable to consider the time difference between South Africa and the USA when making international calls. Avoid calling during late-night or early-morning hours to respect the recipient’s sleep.
7. How reliable are international calls to South Africa?
International calls to South Africa are generally reliable, but occasional network issues or high call volumes may disrupt the quality. Using a reliable service provider and checking your internet connection or signal strength can enhance call quality.
In conclusion, making international calls to South Africa from the USA is a straightforward process if you follow the correct dialing codes. Be aware of the time difference between the two countries and consider using alternative calling methods like VoIP services for cost-effectiveness. By understanding these guidelines and the FAQs provided, you can communicate with your friends, family, or business contacts in South Africa effortlessly.