What Airport for St. John, US Virgin Islands?
The stunning island of St. John in the US Virgin Islands is a popular tourist destination known for its pristine beaches, lush forests, and vibrant coral reefs. Visitors from all around the world flock to this tropical paradise to experience its natural beauty and enjoy a relaxing vacation. If you are planning a trip to St. John, it is important to know which airport to fly into and how to reach this picturesque island.
The main airport serving St. John is the Cyril E. King Airport (STT) located on the neighboring island of St. Thomas. This airport is the busiest in the US Virgin Islands and offers a variety of international and domestic flights. Many major airlines such as American Airlines, Delta, United, and JetBlue operate regular flights to St. Thomas, making it easily accessible from various cities in the United States.
Once you arrive at the Cyril E. King Airport, there are several options to reach St. John. The most common and convenient way is to take a ferry from Red Hook or Charlotte Amalie, both located on the island of St. Thomas. The ferry ride to St. John takes approximately 20-30 minutes, and there are frequent departures throughout the day. Another option is to take a private water taxi, which offers a more personalized and direct transfer to St. John.
If you prefer to fly directly to St. John, there is also a small airport called the Cyril E. King Airport (SJF) located on the island. However, it is important to note that this airport mainly serves small private planes and charters, and commercial flights are limited. Therefore, flying into St. Thomas and taking a ferry or water taxi remains the most practical and popular choice for visitors.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. How long does it take to reach St. John from Cyril E. King Airport in St. Thomas?
– The ferry ride from St. Thomas to St. John takes approximately 20-30 minutes.
2. Can I fly directly to St. John?
– Yes, there is a small airport on St. John, but it mainly serves small private planes and charters. Commercial flights are limited.
3. How do I reach St. John from Cyril E. King Airport?
– To reach St. John, you can take a ferry from Red Hook or Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas or opt for a private water taxi.
4. Are there frequent ferry departures to St. John?
– Yes, there are frequent ferry departures throughout the day from St. Thomas to St. John.
5. Which airlines operate flights to Cyril E. King Airport in St. Thomas?
– Major airlines such as American Airlines, Delta, United, and JetBlue operate regular flights to St. Thomas.
6. How far is Cyril E. King Airport from the ferry terminals in St. Thomas?
– The airport is approximately a 15-20 minute drive from Red Hook and a 30-40 minute drive from Charlotte Amalie, where the ferry terminals are located.
7. How much does the ferry ride from St. Thomas to St. John cost?
– The ferry ticket prices vary depending on the operator and time of travel, but generally range from $7 to $15 per person each way.
In conclusion, when planning a trip to St. John, US Virgin Islands, it is recommended to fly into the Cyril E. King Airport in St. Thomas. From there, visitors can easily reach St. John by taking a ferry or private water taxi. The short journey offers breathtaking views and sets the stage for an unforgettable vacation in this Caribbean paradise.